Saturday, August 06, 2005

Please be polite when you visit Malaysia

Today a foreigner visiting our lovely country asked me about the phrase 'Kan Ni Neh' and pondered as to its meaning. I was deeply disappointed with his ignorance of our culture. So being the good samaritan I am, I took the time to explain to him the rich tradition and ideology behind this expression.

The expression 'Kan Ni Neh' hails from the chinese part of our local culture. As you know, many of the chinese in our country have ancestors from China who migrated to Malaysia. This expression has been a part of our culture ever since then.

The origins of the expression are from the reign of Emperor Kan Ni Neh of the Qing Dynasty. It was one of the first few contacts with the 'gwai lows' or literally translated 'white devils'. Curious, the Emperor allowed a royal audience with the sailors. The Captain greeted the emperor with great respect, saying, 'We come in search of friendship.' The young emperor misunderstood and thought the Captain was introducing himself; thus said; pointing at himself 'Kan Ni Neh'.

Later on this misunderstanding was cleared up as the two parties grew more adept with each others language. However, in a touch of vanity, the young Emperor decided that henceforth, his name would be used to greet foreigners and good friends. The louder you shouted the Emperor's name, the more enthusiathic the welcome you give to your guest.

I hope with this information, visitors to our country will respect our culture more. Understanding after all builds bridges and bridges great friendship.

When you touch down in KLIA, scream at the top of your lungs, 'Kan Ni Neh', and point to as many people as you can.

I swear to you, you'll definately get a hot reception :)

10 comments:

Vince said...

If anyone from a local hospital reads this, I require a commision for increased business I've sent your way

:)

Anonymous said...

How did you add that picture of yourself in the red hat, at the top of the page?

Vince said...

I clicked my heels three times and said: 'Theres no place like home thrice'.

Anonymous said...

is ishani a girl's name..or a guy's...*confused* 0.o... vince~~...doesn't this post sound awefully familiar...qing dynasty...hmmmmmm *grins*

Vince said...

hehe

of course it sounds familiar hun :D
*grins*

convincing ma? hehe <3

Vince said...

I just HAD to post what Poppa Val said about this post... he really cracks me up!

Valator 8/6/2005 8:02:34 PM
Ha! I had the picture at the top as an avatar at the Dragonsfoot forums for a short while before I had my ability to use avatars taken away.

Nice blog you have there, Devo. Your 'Kan Ni Neh' entry is particularly enlightening. I never knew that it was the Emperor's name, or that is was a greeting that should be shouted loudly and often by foreigners. Why, I honestly thought that was how to tell someone to commit an anatomically impossible action in Singlish.

got a couple of those laying around in a file that Mirage members taught me over the years.


"Kan ni lao bu chow chee bye" means "We will consider your request for reparations."

"Hong Gan" means "Sky are our friends"

Anonymous said...

"Kan ni lao bu chow chee bye" means "We will consider your request for reparations."
"Hong Gan" means "Sky are our friends"
aiyoyo~~~ imagine if foreignors heard it and start using it... XD

Vince said...

yu yu

Val *is* a foreigner :D

not your typical one... his IQ > 10

iesnek said...

Emperor Tiu Lei LoMou was dethroned due to the fact he constantly practiced incest.

Vince said...

I was gonna say something like practice makes perfect

some how replying that to my younger brother just feels wrong

*Slaps you*