Wednesday, December 20, 2006

The power of music

Lately I noticed that I've been avoiding using my windows media player for MP3's. Odd don't you think. Theres nothing quite like listening to music as you chat or as you do your work.

So I sat down and tried to figure out the reason behind this phobia of opening my MP3's.

Firstly I checked out the music I play. I have a favorite list. The ones I've listed 4 stars and 5 stars. So I figured, might as well start with a look at the list to see whats wrong with it that I'm avoiding listening to it.

Then the answer struck me. Three quarters of the songs have memories for me. Not necessarily BAD memories. But memories nonetheless.

There were the happy memories, like 'Ghetto Superstar', the song we were dancing to at the night of Azan's farewell party eight years ago. Was it eight? Less? More? I don't recall. But I know its been a damn long time thats for sure.

Then there were the songs which reminded me of my ex girlfriends. In fact the majority of my favorite songs remind me of my ex girlfriends. Freaky stuff. So many song and for so many different reasons. Both happy and sad.

Then there are songs which just make me feel sad. Like Boyzone's 'Father and Son'. Reminds me of my father obviously. And that period in my life when I was growing up and feeling rebellious. Reminds me of when he was still around the house. Oh well.

Music is such a powerful thing. The emotions it evokes and provokes cut you straight to the heart.

So now I realise why I've been avoiding my MP3 list. I need a new list. New songs for a new year. But letting go of the old songs is difficult too. You're so familiar with them. You sing along to them. You know the lyrics. You know the beat and tune by heart.

Much like an ex girl friend. Letting go is difficult. But if I can't let go of my music what chances do I have of letting go of my ex girl friend.

Gotta start some where. And this is where I'll start.

New music.

If music be the food of love. Pray. Play on.

I'm switching off the music for now. Theres no love. Just a need for focus and determination to do successfully in my subjects.

Love comes to he who waits. Another adatage I've heard countless times. I, for one, won't be waiting. Neither will I be rushing to embrace it. If it happens, then it happens. If it doesn't I still have my focus and goals in life to attain.

Odd how from music I went on to speak of love. Then again music is love. At least a very big part of it. How many of us have cried when we heard a song from the past that brought back a bitter memory in love. How many of us have made love listening to THAT special song.

I need to change my music. And so I will. :)

1 comment:

Joe said...

listen to hard rock! erm.. goth oso... marilyn manson is way to go!
Listen to antichrist superstar and remember me! lol