Tuesday, June 17, 2008

Blowing your own trumpet : Prematurely... but who cares :p

Its quite rare that I have good news in my blog/life... but yet again I have some good news to share :D


Like my msn nick says... God's stopped pissing on me, *Stares at golden rainbow*...
Anyway... enough with the pessimism. This is something to be optimistic about :D... Lets start with a little story...
In early May, I was still struggling through my internship and feeling quite miserable for myself. Okay, okay. Feeling miserable for myself isn't a new thing. Its like my favorite past time. Bite me :p
Anyway the 'Emo Song Queen' messaged me about this open submission contest for short plays. She said I should try it out. So I checked it out and thought about it.
At first I didn't want to submit anything.

Read: Don't think my work is good enough.

After all it was an international event. Chances are every wannabe script writer would be submitting their work. Rejection I can handle... but what if they sent me a email laughing at my work.
So I was talking about it in a multi chat with Liann, Adrian and Mel. And told them about the submission thing. They kinda bullied me into submitting a piece for it. Mel is the major culprit. She gave me a long lecture about being confident about other people doing well but having no confidence in my own work.
So I thought about it some more. And on 22nd May, the night before submissions were closed, I submitted two of my best pieces. Imagine and Split.
There was no news for quite a while. And frankly I had forgotten about it. Then I received this email on the 16th of June:



Ok. So the dude got my name wrong. I'll forgive him. Haha. But seriously, when I got the email I was in class. At first I thought it was some random dude from my blog. Then, I realised that jerry1516@yahoo.com is not my blog email address. Then I thought it must be some gay dude trying to hit on me. In short, I didn't believe it cause I totally forgot about the submission.
Then I read the title of the email : Short and Sweet. Something clicked in my head and next thing I knew I was jumping with joy. My play's gonna be performed in KLPAC. I still can't believe it. Hehe.

I just wanna say thanks to Mel and Yelena. Cause I doubt I would have known about it if Yelena didn't tell me. Mel cause she gave me the courage to submit my work.
Oh... and sorry to Marcus for thinking he was a gay dude trying to pick me up!

If you want more details about the event click here.
Its running from the 6th of August to the 17 of August so be sure to come watch and give me some moral support!
Tickets aren't available yet but I'll update you when they are.
Cheers!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thanks je? Belanja la I ticket to Spain! Jejejeje! Just wondering, the part you say "wanna thank Yelena...". Does that read as "Yelena is awesome" or anything greater? :)I perasan ke? Well, since the post is called "Blowing your own trumpet"!

Congrats wince! :)

Vince said...

yeshhhh
*ignores yels trumpeting*

thanks yel